Friday, April 4, 2014

Crime & Punishment Shiv

A few months ago a project came in where the client needed a shiv made. They had a picture they found online and they wanted to match it pretty closely. Below are some progress shots ending in the final Ad.


Here is the shiv the client found online that they wanted to match.


I walked up the street to a scrap metal yard to find something that I could use for the blade of the shiv. I had so much fun looking through everything trying to find just the right piece of metal. I found this curved piece that was the right size and had just enough rust. I'm not sure what it is though...


Here is a progress shot after I straightened the metal bar out and cut the blade. I used a circular sander to give the blade it's sharp looking edge.


Here's how the finished shiv turned out. It's very close to the reference photo. I used black gaff tape and muslin fabric to create the handle. I added some brown and orange paint to finish off the look.


And here's the final Ad.